Roman Calendar

Random Greco-Roman Image

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Then memories sweet and tender come like music's plaintive flow


like music's plaintive flow,
Of someone in Ellan Vannin
That lov'd me long ago…...

Ellen Vanin is how the locals call the place. More popularly known abroad as the Isle of Man, the island is in the wild waters of the Irish Sea, between Ireland and England. One famous Manxman is Fletcher Chirstian who led the MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY; when you realize he was a Gael and not an Englishman it gives the whole mutiny a different perspective.

My Auld Pop knew many Manxmen in the Great War; they the Manxmen called the Welsh "Taffies" and the Scots " the Jocks". On a memorable afternoon in the late 1970's I met one such ex-soldier -the last of his Regiment- in a memorial cementary near the Menin Gate (Ypres, Belgium). We had an interesing talk and later had a drink together. I surpised him greatly by singing from heart ELLEN VANIN and it made a great impression. He said, "You Yanks are not so bad and here's a toast to the JOCKS as well…." I have known many veterans of the Great Wars of the 20th century and feel it was a great priviledge to meet them and here their story to assure them that NE OBLIVISCARIS….their sacrifice and the sacrifice of their mates would never be forgotten.

The English, though, tend to forget about the Isle's existence, unless they suddenly come into money. Then they are quick to remember Ellen is a tax haven, far enough away from the penny pinchers of the Inland Revenue Service and yet just a short flight or ferry journey from England. The Isle of Man is now the adoptive home of a number of rich English gentry.

This is one of the beautiful songs of the British Isles; the ELLEN in the song means ISLAND and the VANIN is for VANX or MANX. so "ELLEN VANIN" is Manx Gaelic for the Isle of Man. Songs in celebration of music and poerty are especially dear to me because I love music and song so much. I hope you enjoy this too. The link gives you the melody; and yes I have my own version -with a Spanish setting in English and Spanish! I used to sing it to my wife when we were first going together and still do from time to time. I suppose it is flattery to a girl to have songs and poems in your honor!

I have been told that it is varient of ancient airs of Wales, Ireland and Scotland once all Celtic-speaking regions with a common musical heritage.

Eliza Craven Green, before 1896

When the summer day is over
And the busy cares have flown,
Then I sit beneath the starlight
With a weary heart. alone,
And there rises like a vision,
Sparkling bright in nature's glee,
My own dear Ellan Vannin
With its green hills by the sea.
Then I hear the wavelets murmur
As they kiss the fairy shore,
Then beneath the em'rald waters
Sings the mermaid as of yore,
And the fair Isle shines with beauty
As in youth it dawned on me,
My own dear Ellan Vannin
With its green hills by the sea.


Then mem'ries sweet and tender
Come like music's plaintive flow,
Of someone in Ellan Vannin
That lov'd me long ago,
So I give with tears and blessings,
And my fondest thoughts to thee,
My own dear Ellan Vannin
With its green hills by the sea.

No comments: