Roman Calendar

Random Greco-Roman Image

Saturday, March 14, 2009

MY HEART'S IN THE HIGHLANDS








Chorus
My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer,
A-chasing the wild deer and following the roe -
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go!
1.
Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birthplace of valour, the country of worth!
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.
2.
Farewell to the mountains high cover'd with snow,
Farewell to the straths and green valleys below,
Farewell to the forests and wild-hanging woods,
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods!

2 comments:

Svetlana Mamedova said...

Nice! One of the first poems my English teacher made me memorize... Never regretted it... Still under the spell of all things Celtic...

RICHARD K. MUNRO said...

Thank you for your comments; Burns was not a Highlander -that is to say a Gael-but a lowlander -what the Highlanders (Gaels) call
Gall glass or "Sallow Lowlander" but he loved the Highlands and loved Highland music. Many of his songs -like this one had been composed for Gaelic songs by the ancient clan bards- by composing this song Burns preserved the ancient melody which is much older than the song which dates from the late 18th century. The recording I have on the blog is 1950's recording by JO STAFFORD a very fine American singer of the 1940's and 1950's and on to the 60's. She died only a short while ago. But we still have her art. Her Scottish album is now available on CD.